Sunday, December 28, 2008

Savage, Steven E., Cannon and Mommy, West Orange, NJ, 2008

When I photograph people, I always intend to leave their dignity and respect intact. Certainly, if the subject has chosen to act publicly in an undignified way, then I have no reservations about photographing their public acts without regard to dignity they themselves have disregarded voluntarily.

When I photograph my family members and friends, because these are people that I know intimately, and whom I love, I try to allow my love for them and appreciation of them to come through the lens and into the photograph. There is no magic formula for doing this. I guess, to the extent that anything specific I do makes any difference, the fact that I take many, many exposures until I am certain that I have captured a loving portrayal. Then the images which don't show that side generally never see the light of day.

I am particularly proud of this image. I hope the fact that I love Carol Cannon Savage (my wife) and Cannon Marshall Cornell Savage is abundantly clear from this image.

No comments:

Post a Comment