Sunday, December 28, 2008

Savage, Steven E., You Rang, Manassas, VA, 2008

I enjoy this photo because Cannon seems like such a scamp and Tiah (my teenager) seems so bored. Isn't that what they're supposed to be doing at their ages? I love to set my camera on a tripod, with a wide zoom lens mounted, slow the shutter down by quite a bit (say 1/20 or slower--this was a 4-second exposure at f22), pop on the flash, and just watch my kids play. I shoot with one eye and watch with the other. I do very little coaching. I just let kids be kids.

For those who are curious, the slow shutter and flash combination renders solid anything that is still for most/all of the exposure, and renders transparent or translucent anything that is moving for part/all of the exposure. That is why his head appears solid at the chin, but clear at the top. It also explains the other faint, big, round shadow to the left of his head.

No comments:

Post a Comment