Sunday, December 28, 2008

Savage, Steven E., South Orange Train Station #1, South Orange, NJ, 2008

I must admit to being staggered that so few people on Flickr have offered any real analysis of this piece. I don't usually like to have explain my intentions, but here goes: This is a study in tones, lines and shapes.

Those who have commented that they don't like the composition, must not recall the Rule of Thirds or the concept of "leading lines" from high school photography class. Those who have said words to the effect of "I don't know what you're trying to say" are imposing more burden on this one photo than they do on their pictures of their friends or their cats or their Christmas trees. I took the picture because I like old train stations and those of this type are becoming endangered.

Now I could tell you that it stands for world peace. It doesn't. Or I could say that it represents Man's inhumanity to Man. It doesn't do that either. I saw some lines and shapes, and the potential for some tones, which I thought would photograph nicely and I took the picture.

My work is not everyone's cup of tea. I'm okay with that. But, for goodness sake, could we be a bit more analytical, take a few seconds more, before rushing off to the next snazzy HDR, amusement-park-ride-in-motion photo, or yet another picture of someone twirling fire? I am capable of shooting those photos. For various reasons, I choose not to.

Uploaded by Steve Savage on 18 Dec 08, 1.43AM AST.

Compose your blog entry
Title:
Your Post:

No comments:

Post a Comment